Long are the days...but short are the years.

Monday, August 18, 2008

Saying good-bye to Minnesotans, Part 2

We spent our last night in Minnesota with two of Eric's siblings and their families, who also happen to be some of our closest friends. It is very strange not to see them regularly. They have been a part of my life for the past 8 years, and much of that time was spent living in the same city. Their physical absence from our lives is felt especially acutely for Mari and Joshua, as they each have cousins very close in age that they are used to seeing a lot. I feel their absence especially when I need a baby-sitter (HAHAHA!) or just a good friend to talk to and hang out with, without having to worry so much about what my house looks like or what I'm wearing or how the children are behaving. Here's some photos from our last night in Minnesota...

Have I mentioned that Mari LOVES Michele? (She calls her the German word for Aunt, but I don't know how to spell that--help?). Girls are few and far between in that generation in our family, and Michele, with three boys at home, I know has a special fondness for Mari as well. Michele was wearing her sunglasses like this, and when Mari saw, she insisted on wearing hers the same way.

Mari also has a passion for all things baby (kind of like her mother!). She adores her baby cousin Elijah and has a hard time leaving him alone, even at times like this when he clearly isn't ready to play. So until he was ready to play, Mari decided to pull on over her car seat and take a nap too!

I can not believe these boys are almost five! Justus, Joshy's cousin and best friend, is only months younger than Joshy. They pretty much grew up together. Joshy is having a hard time knowing Justy can't come over whenever he wants. Although two very different boys, they love each other very much. I think we all miss watching these two play together.

This is actually the last day we were in Minnesota. We had stopped by our house one last time to pray and thank God for the gracious blessings He gave us in that home. We also wanted to say good-bye to our next door neighbors. We met Steve & Danica right when we moved in 4 years ago. They had a dog Gracie that Joshy was in love with. Ironically, "Gracie" was among the first words of both our children. Andrew, pictured here, was born less than 2 weeks before Mari, and now he has a little brother Kellan that Mari loves (he's a baby!). It is so sad to me to have to leave a great family, especially now that Andrew is old enough to come and play. I will even miss his and Mari's "toddler conversations": "MINE!" "MINE!" "MINE!" It was always comforting to looking out our dining room window and see one of their smiling faces looking back through their dining room window. We've had so many over-the-fence conversations it's a wonder we didn't just build a door there.

We miss you, Minnesotans!

3 comments:

Craig said...

I'm excited to know how to get a hold of you. We have a lot of catching up to do. I hope you guys are doing well and adjusting to the move well.

Anonymous said...

I think the German for aunt is "Tante"...??

Fun to see pictures of your kidlets and to hear a bit about recent life for you.

Mike and Katie said...

It's fun to see more pictures from your family. I'm glad you're blogging! I can't believe how much Justus and Kiernen have grown! Wow!

Kelli who comments on my blog is in Ohio. Maybe she's nearby.

I feel your pain!

Katie