We were listening to a sermon in the car, and the speaker (good ol' Voddie) was summarizing the first five commandments. When he got to number four, which according to Voddie is "Don't mess with My day!", he raised the unspoken argument of a dad wanting his son to be a ball player, and since that means games on Sunday, well, surely the Lord will understand. Voddie puts on his "god-voice" again and repeats, "Don't mess with My day!"
After a few moments, Joshy asks from the back of the van, "Mama? Do the Vikings play always on a Sunday?"
Me: "Well, usually. Occasionally they play on Monday nights, or even a Thursday, but mostly all Sundays."
Joshy: "Oh."
Me: "They do play a lot of Sundays, but every once in awhile they will have a Sunday off. And of course, this all is only during their seasons."
Joshy: "Hmm...Do you think God would think it's ok to celebrate His day on a Saturday? You know, like have a church service on a Saturday, like the Jews do with Shabbot?"
Me: "Yes, many people believe the 'seventh' day that God commanded to honor Him was a Saturday."
Joshy: "And do the Twins play on Saturdays?"
Me: "Yes, Joshy, they play as many Saturdays or Sundays."
Joshy: "Do any Twins players play all the games except not Sundays?"
Me: "I don't think they can choose to do that. They have to play when the coach tells them to, or they may lose their place on the team. I've never heard of that happening anyway."
Joshy, laying back in his seat, obviously frustrated: "That's too bad."
After a few miles of driving, he asked: "What about the Vikings? Do they play on Saturdays?"
Me: "Not really. I think it's very rare for them to play Saturdays."
Joshy, relieved: "Good! I will just play for the Vikings then."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last week, I took the children on a walk to the end of our road. Mari and Joshy rode their bikes, Lydia rode in a stroller, and Sophia alternatively pushed the strolled and rode her trike. Because the little girls and I were going so slow, I gave Joshy and Mari permission to ride ahead a certain distance, turn around, and ride back to me. They kept this up as Lydia, Sophia, and I inched our way back home. One time, Mari, who has just graduated to a bigger and much faster bike, came flying down the slightly sloped road and around a corner. I thought, my, is she going fast! The next thing I knew, she was cutting across the road right in front of us, turned to wave and shout, "Hi, Mom!", and promptly, without losing any speed, rode right into a grove of pine trees. And classic Mari, yelled, "I'm ok!" before she even hit the ground. So here's my little girl, tangled up in pine boughs, and me laughing so hard I nearly had a potty accident. It was a great moment, trust me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sophia makes me laugh all the time, but lately I love these two words she uses:
"trumpadome" for Metrodome
"Hiporade" for parade
I love toddler talk!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Lydia? Well, I would show you if I could get a photo of it, but this sweet girl has only one top tooth! She has this one, big, fully out tooth, and no sign of the other one. Every time she opens her mouth to smile, it makes me giggle.
2 comments:
That is so funny that Lydia only has one tooth! Didn't Mari take a long time to get teeth too?
Actually, she has two teeth on the bottom, but only one of those big top ones in the middle. Mari didn't get teeth until almost her first birthday. Lydia got her bottom two around 11 months.
The sad thing is people usually lose teeth in reference to when the teeth first erupted, so Mari, though she desperately wants a loose tooth, may have to wait until she's seven!
elisa
Post a Comment