Long are the days...but short are the years.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

What Sophia Wants To Be

The other day Sophia broke my heart by saying she didn't want to be a mama because it was too much work.  I felt terrible that I haven't represented this absolutely wonderful (though challenging) role of mine in a more favorable light. 

A few days later, we were discussing midwives.  Mari thought maybe she would be a midwife when she grows up (usually, she says she will be a nurse).  I asked Sophia if she thought maybe she would be a midwife.  She emphatically said no.  Here's the conversation that ensued:

Me: "Why not?"

Sophia: "Being a midwife would be too much work."

Me: "What would you like to be then?"

Sophia: "A teacher."

Me: "Being a teacher would be a lot of work, too.  Remember, though, how I told you that hard work isn't necessarily bad, and that many things are worth the hard work."

Sophia: "Well, I don't like work.  I will be a singer then."

Me: "Being a singer could be hard work, too."

Sophia, clearly exasperated: "Well, then, I just want to be a kid!"

Good luck, little lady!  I have a feeling you will change your mind someday, but truth be told, there are days that I just want to be a kid, too.

2 comments:

fruitful vine said...

So funny! She is a hoot!

Kelly said...

LOL so does alot of other adults in the world..alright we'll step up the "liking work" prayers for her:)