We are *considering* getting a new digital camera. Can you tell me what you love/hate about yours and what sort of things and features we should be looking for? Keep in mind that I am technologically challenged and don't enjoy reading user manuals.
Thanks for your help!
6 comments:
We love our Nikon D40. If you want a basic SLR, this is it. Johnny likes to play with the settings. It doesn't have video capabilities, which is why Nikon just came out with the D90. Nikon says the D90 says is the first digital SLR to have video capabilities. Canon also makes good cameras. Johnny could probably tell you more.
You take great pictures by the way.
Our old Canon just died after 7 years of hard work, and we got a new Canon -- so new that I don't fully know the features, but I'll tell you what we like about it so far:
- it's small -- easy for me to stick in my pocket, and I don't have huge pockets. This means I can take it with me more places.
- it has GREAT video quality. I love being able to capture singing, etc
- it has a large view-screen (I think a 3") which makes it easy to take pictures (this one doesn't have a viewfinder, which doesn't bother me) AND easy to look at them with a kid on each side of you being able to see, too.
- it has 10 megapixel capability, which means I can get huge printable-resolution photos, which I like because I like to crop and edit, and then I still have good standard printable size,
Well, here it is right next to me so I can even tell you what kind it is! Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Digital Elph.
Honestly, we didn't spend a lot of time looking -- we had a few criteria, some suggestions from my Dad (who's like a consumer reports all in himself), we liked our old Canon a lot, so were happy to stay with Canon, and the price was less than we had spent 7 years ago, so that was a plus, too.
ps -- I cut out Mari's yellow shirt and Joshy's yellow "J" today. Next task is cutting the green, and then sewing! Yay.
This is ours: http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Konica-Minolta-DiMAGE-Z20-Digital-Camera-Review-.htm
It is a nice camera, works well for our needs. It does have video capability, but you'd need a big memory card in order to record more than a couple minutes. I don't use the movie feature much.
It is NOT small. Won't fit in your pocket. Takes nice pictures, but it's not the very top-of-the-line. I can take nice pictures without studying the manual for days and days beforehand.
Hope that helps. :)
I love, love Nikon, but I don't know so much about their point and shoots...mine is 4 years old and I hardly ever use it anymore except for the little video thing, which is nice. The only suggestion I'd have is to make sure it has optical zoom - as opposed to digital zoom. It will give you better quality when you zoom in. Have fun looking! And I tried to hyperlink to Amazon to that book, but they don't have it! Can you believe that? You'll have to ask your new favorite librarian, if you've found one yet. We think of you LOTS!
I have a Canon too. It's a point and shoot, something like a SD700. I bought Canon on a friends recommendation and I've been real, real happy with it. Lots of different options are available, I'll try to remember to look at it tonight and report back on what exactly it is.
I bought mine on Ebay about 3 years ago and in the past I've seen Canon's similar to mine on Amazon.
BTW: Have you looked at the Amazon Marketplace thingie I mentioned at Joshy's birthday?
For point and shoot, I vote with Andrea and Ms. Dill (sorry, don't know her) on Canons. I grew up with a SLR Minolta, and grew up revering Nikon as a brand, but the quality of photo and ease of use wins for me. Our first one (we've had two PowerShots) wasn't as durable, but took great photos. Our current one, several years old now, is an A640, and like Andrea's newer version, has 10 megapixel capability, and great zoom. It's a good size, too; the only drawback for me is the delay in shooting sometimes. You get used to it. And the video quality is great, which is important to us because we don't have a dedicated videocam. The price was right, too, which always helps.
I know this is late, but it's been busy, and I thought with your post today (Tuesday), perhaps you still haven't purchased it yet. :)
Post a Comment