Long are the days...but short are the years.

Monday, December 22, 2008

Soon and very soon

Waiting for anything has not been a strength of mine, especially when it comes to waiting for cookies to bake or for Eric to come home after work or for naptime so I can lay down. But truth be told, waiting for Baby to come is a joy that I don't want to hurry through. I'm at that point when everyone comments "Oh you must be so ready to have this baby!" and, well...yes and no. I am anxious to know who this little twirly-bug is and if it's a boy or girl, if it has hair, etc. I'm excited to see how the baby's birth will play out, if it will be at night or in the day, if Eric will be home or get a frantic call at work, if our midwife will make it or if Eric will have to do the delivery (we're hoping the midwife makes it, just for the record).

But am I so ready to have this baby that I'm becoming discontent being pregnant?

Not one little bit.

The first eighteen weeks or so of pregnancy are so miserable for me that these last months feel glorious. Not only does food taste good and stay where it belongs now, but I can feel this child wiggle and squirm inside. I like looking obviously pregnant. I love having Joshy and Mari snuggle and kiss my belly. I love Eric laying hands on the baby and praying for him/her. I love laying in bed at night playing with Baby.

What do we play? This is our game. Baby sticks a foot out under my ribs on my right side and I tickle it. Suddenly he/she pulls it back in. Then, slowly, he/she will stick it out again and wait for me to tickle the foot. I know this may not sound insanely thrilling, especially to all you men folk, but believe me, it's so great it's worth losing sleep over. For me, anyway.

So yes, technically, we are ready for the baby to come. But no, I'm not wishing it was anytime sooner than it will be. I don't mind waiting for Baby, because once Baby's born, I won't be pregnant anymore. Of course, I will get to nurse and cuddle a newborn...

All this to say, God, I'm ready when you are, but don't hurry things on my account. Waiting can be tough, but I'm doing just fine with it, thank you.

But those cookies on the other hand, well, ten minutes can be a loooong time, for children and their mother.

5 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

Thanks for the bigger pictures. I love being able to really see your house and counters and cupboards and floor and toys and boy do I miss you!

They are so sweet sitting there together.

We're praying that baby waits until Nina arrives!

Love,

Katie

melissa said...

I remember when you were pregnant with Mari and I was pregnant with Moses, how your "content to still be pregnant" attitude encouraged me to not be impatient. Each day with our children, whether in utero or out, is precious! I am so encouraged to hear that from you as you reach the end of your pregnancy.

Aspiemom said...

What an adorable picture...and a very well-written post!

Our Family said...

I love that photo! Mari is getting so big! God teaches us A LOT about Himself while we are waiting on His timing. :)

Mike and Katie said...

Your brother says:

"Amish TV."