My cousin Katie posted a great list of things she does with her toddler. It's not play things; it's real life, day-to-day things. Katie has always been a great encouragement to me in this area. It has helped our family life out tremendously to have an emphasis on the children working
with us, not just shooing them off to play while Mama gets her chores done. Yes, I'm sure all those jobs that Katie mentions take a lot longer to do (at least they do at our home) when you include toddlers and preschoolers, but it is so worth it. After all, if they learn it well, they'll be able to do it well...by themselves.
For instance, did you know that I rarely ever empty my dishwasher? That's Joshy's job. Every day. I used to do it with him, but now he proudly does it all by himself. And setting the table? Done with that! Mari and Joshy actually fight over that "fun" chore because whoever sets the table gets to pick which plates we use. Putting away Joshy's clean clothes? Sure, sometimes, but usually not. He's been in charge of that since he was three.

Perhaps I'll write a longer post, but for now, go to Katie's and get inspired.
4 comments:
Thanks for the accolades!
Everything does take longer, but it gets done. When she's awake I need to be spending time with her anyways, we might as well get something accomplished.
I love the Mari images, too. They look great and she looks so sweet!
Katie
What an adorable picture!
Great training job. I wish I'd gotten my son started earlier than I did.
I love it!!! Andrew and I do a lot of chores together. He wanted to help me with so much that I finally let him do some things. We load/unload the dishwasher, the clothes washer and dryer, we throw clothes down the dirty clothes shoot, we put clean clothes away. I have yet to teach him to fold clothes. Unless I just wanted a bundle of clean, wrinkly clothes!! He really enjoys being able to be a "big" boy and help. And I don't mind the fact that it takes just a bit longer. :)
Also, congrats to the mighty deer slayer!! I didn't get anything this year. Oh, well!
Danica
I really appreciated this post and your pointing us to Katie's blog. I forget to give the kids work. Thank you for all of your posts. I miss you and your family so much.
Post a Comment