We've hit a cold snap that is making the reality of no-more-summer hit home. But while I still can, I'll revel in the days of summer. And hope that we'll have at least one more relapse before the chill really sets in. Last year, we pulled out the winter coats one week only to be greeted with 80 degrees and sunny the next.
We'd love to have a proper compost pile, but for now, we throw out kitchen and yard scraps in a heap at the edge of the woods. After weeding the garden beds, Eric and the kids are hauling their loads to the pile. In case you can't tell, Eric has the big wheelbarrow, Joshy's pulling the wagon, and Mari's pushing the little yellow dump truck.

There are some things I just love about country living, like watching Eric and the kids do real physical labor together. It just feels so healthy (the actual working, not the watching, of course).
The kids planted some marigolds from seed. They are the biggest marigolds I've ever seen. And the blooms are just these big, bright puff-balls. They are completely fun and merry, and every time I see them, I feel a child-like delight. I'm going to miss them.

And so are the bees.

And so is this little girl, who is by far my favorite Mari-gold of all time.
1 comment:
you can contribute to a compost pile all year round. My neighbor puts out her compost in the winter even, all seasons and it's not really a problem. Just an FYI.
Post a Comment