Long are the days...but short are the years.

Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Day 2009

Christmas Day at my parents' house was fairly low-key, just how I like it. Sophia enjoyed storybooks with Papa.
She also was fascinated by Neena washing dishes.
Of course, she had a pretty fun perch to watch from. No worries; Papa was right behind her, ready to catch her when she became disinterested. He needn't worry though, as she clung on tightly for as long as we let her.

Eric finished up the Noel Calendar with the children. Mari was especially excited to have Baby Jesus placed in the manger. We so enjoy this Noel Calendar every year. I know they were not available this year, but they will be again next year. You can order them next fall at www.desiringgod.org.
Later in the day my sister and her family came over, and we opened gifts. Mari got a little dolly, which she was thrilled about. She's all about "being mama". I love this photo of her, the mama-love on her face mixed with joy of receiving this special present.
I recall doing the same thing, kissing a tiny baby hand, with each of my children shortly after their births. When she did the this, I was hit with the realization that someday, Lord-willing, this would be real, as in Mari would really have just had a baby of her own, that baby would be real, and she would be a real mother. Ack!

And I love this photo, too. Mari was explaining to her Uncle Tony, who has a 7 month old himself, just how to hold a baby and feed the baby her bottle.
She asked him to baby-sit while she finished opening her presents. He was free, since his own son, Ashyr, wasn't too into gift-opening.
He was completely out, all but snoring (the baby, not my dad...I think).

The rest of us kept plenty entertained watching my very expressive young daughter delight in unwrapping her numerous presents.
Her facial expressions were hilarious, and if I could, I'd share the videos. They'll make me laugh for years to come (they are too big to upload here). Joshy and Sophia also had plenty of gifts, but they weren't nearly as entertaining in their delight.

I just so love this girl!
We're friends. That's what she tells me. And as we both grow up together, we're becoming better and better at our friendship. Praise God!

Later that day, once Ashyr recovered from his mid-gift-opening nap, we all got to enjoy him. I remember putting Joshy in a laundry basket, and he liked it just as much as Ashyr did.
That's my sister's blanket from when she was little. I remember her dragging that blankie all over the place, even to the car wash so she could hide underneath it (car washes scared her immensely).

Another thing we liked to do with our babies was this:
And apparently Ashyr enjoys it too. Though, to be fair, he enjoys most everything. He's one of the most easiest going babies I've met. Except when he's tired. Or hungry. Or when his favorite auntie has to leave to go back to this place called Ohio. Miss you, Ashyr-Bashyr (and your parents, too)!

3 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

Amanda still loves to play in the laundry basket. Now it's her car.

Lace said...

It's so scary and wonderful at the same time to realize that your baby will some day bring you her babies for hand kissing and Nana watching.

Alisha said...

ahm.... that picture of Mari and Tony???? it looks like Tony has 3 hands...!!!!!!!!!! just sayin'... it kinda scared me a little. :O|