One of the absolute best parts of MN is visiting with family. This year, besides the regularly scheduled holiday programs, we had the unfortunate circumstance of gathering at a funeral. My uncle Ken passed away the week before Christmas. And while death is a horrible thing to have to associate with the holiday season, it was a delight to be gathered around with our extended family and reminded of our history together, encouraged in our present lives, and given hope for our future.
After the funeral service, we ate a meal together in the church's fellowship hall. It was a big room with lots of room for little ones to run around without running over each other. I didn't get great pictures as I was rather busy visiting, but I really do like this one.

Eric was alternatively throwing the little girls up into the air and catching them. In this photo, Mari was just set down back to earth and Amanda was jumping with excitement that it was her turn next.
By the way, if you don't know Amanda, you should. You can learn more about her family by clicking
here. Not only will you learn more about Amanda, but her much older two brothers, her 6 month old little sister, and her newest sibling set to be born any day. Yes, that's two teen boys and three little ones age two and under. No, my sweet cousin Katie isn't insane; she and her husband are just joyfully walking their talk about being open to the Lord's blessing of kids! I can't wait for baby #5 to be born!
But anyway. Back to Amanda.
We have loved her since before she was born, but since she has been home, we both, but especially my husband, have had a special fondness for her. We really can't help it. Look at her!

And, Katie, if you're reading this, (and unless you're in labor, I know you are), just be careful. We are really tempted to bring her home with us! We figure once the baby is born, there will be so many little ones around your home, you won't notice. In fact, Sophia's already trying.

Besides getting to enjoy Amanda, another very special person we were honored to spend our time with was my grandma. Grammie was so sick this past summer that the doctors gave her just days to live. I remember getting a call from my dad on a Thursday. He said that the docs thought she would only live until Saturday, at the most.
But doctors aren't omniscient.
PRAISE GOD.After that call, I hurriedly cleaned the house, cancelled plans for the following week, and did laundry in order to pack. But Saturday came and went. So did Sunday. And Monday. And Tuesday. I put away the suitcases and returned to regular life, wondering if Grammie would make it to her 90th birthday in November. To make a long story short, she did. And she made it to Christmas too. And she's still making it, writing us letters, praying for us, and pushing herself to do things like clean and walk around so, as she puts it, her muscles don't start to get old. HAHAHA!
Grammie was at my uncle Ken's funeral. We had a great visit with her afterward. But my favorite part of that evening was this.

We had all been sitting around chatting, when Grammie bursts out, "So many babies...everyone has a baby to hold! Where's my baby to hold?" I looked around. It was true. There was Ashyr, Tristan, Christiana, and Sophia, all cuddling on someone's lap while we were gathered around Grammie. So I plucked up my sweet Sophia and landed her on Grammie's lap. I love that Grammie, for whom my Sophia is named, loves her great-grandchildren, and that, like Jesus, she exclaims: let the little children come to me! I love that she gently held Sophia on her lap, engaging her in their own conversation and delighting in her giggles and her exploratory hands that often grabbed Grammie's nose or cheeks.

Though this was not the first time Grammie has loved on Sophia, for me, it was the most special. Because of her illness this past summer, it was like a bonus visit, something we wholly didn't expect to have. And it was so great to not only see, once again, my Grammie enjoy my baby, but to see my baby enjoy her Great-Grammie as well.
1 comment:
Great photos! Thanks for posting them! I love the one with Amanda's feet off the ground. That's my girl!
Amanda was looking at a picture the other day from when you visited in June when you were pregnant with Sofia. Amanda says in her two-year-old way, "Joshy, Mariella, Amanda. Where's Sofia?" It's so cute! I'll have to show her to pictures tomorrow.
Post a Comment