Long are the days...but short are the years.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

What we did last weekend

Last Saturday our entire family had the awesome privilege of supporting our dear friend Josh as he ran an ultra-marathon. What's an ultra-marathon? It's a 50 mile race! Can you imagine running 50 miles all in a row? It was pretty amazing.

Josh ran in the Voyageurs Trail Run in Jay Cooke State Park. I had never been to that state park, but I definitely want to go again someday. It is gorgeous! But I can't imagine running through it. The trail involved running through rivers, up and down hills, through rocky areas, and many times, on a path the width of a deer trail. Fifty miles of it all.

Eric and I have actually been to quite a few of Josh's races, including one that he didn't run in, but coached the team who was running. When this one came up, Eric said we had to go. Josh has been training a long time for this, and we wanted to support him. Joshy remembers one of Josh's races vaguely, but all in all, we also thought it would be a good experience for the children.

Then Eric told me that he was planning on helping Josh out during the race. I didn't really think that was possible unless we drove two cars, and since it was a three hour drive there, I didn't want to do that. So I figured we could help out a little. Helping out, or, in runner-speak, "crewing", as in, being a runner's crew, meant being at an aid station (designated places where the runners can pause for food, drink, and, well, aid) to assist with whatever Josh needed, be it fruit, salt pills, or getting doused with water. There were 9 aid stations. After meeting with Josh and his brother Scotty, Eric informed me we were going to be helping out. A lot. As in, about every other aid station.

My reaction? Oh, yeah...bring it on! Woo-hoo!

As a side note, I love the way the noun "crew" took on verb form for the rest of the day, as in "We crewed a race. We are crewing a race."

This photo was taken at the restaurant we ate at the night before the race.
We stayed at a hotel in Duluth. The kids still get so excited about staying in hotels, even though they have been in numerous ones when we drove back and forth from Ohio. They delighted in hanging out by this window and watching the city below.
At least, it was fun until someone fell off and clunked their head. Luckily, Sophia's pretty tough.

So the next day we woke up at 6am to get ready. It was such a gorgeous morning! I don't mind waking up to views like this.
That's Lake Superior in the background. God's creativity and beauty leaves me in awe.

We all quickly dressed, packed up, and ate breakfast in the car. We drove about 30 minutes to make it to aid station #1. It was a little tricky to find, but between the race packet's information, Eric's IPhone, and a sweet lady walking her dog on the country roads, we found it in plenty of time. We met Scotty there to get Josh's special water bottles and solidify the plan for the day. We were all so pumped up. The kids had made big signs and we all piled out of the van to wait for Josh. Then it began to pour, so we piled back into the van to wait for the rain to stop. It did, and we all got out again, waiting with signs and cups of water.

I was so nervous and excited. I couldn't stop shaking and bouncing. I guess that's where my kids get it. Anyway, the first runner came through and Sophia yelled out, "He's running naked!" He wasn't, but she wasn't prepared for a shirtless runner. It was cool this morning, but the temperature and humidity were quickly rising. And this guy was planning on running 50 miles today. Mari quickly corrected her, "No, Sophia, he's running in his swimsuit."

Shortly after this man left, along came the next runner: our friend Josh! We cheered and stayed out of the way while Eric did the first water bottle transfer.
As soon as Josh disappeared into the woods again, we hopped into the car, and along with the aid of the iPhone and race packet directions, headed to our next aid station.

After this, I also took amazingly few photos. In retrospect, I wonder why I didn't take more, but then I remember what that day was like. Many stations involved a hike into the woods, so we had enough to carry (water bottles, fruit, signs, children) without bringing the camera as well. At some stations we had time before Josh came through, but instead of snapping pictures we stretched our legs by exploring or shared information with other crew teams or fixed ourselves some snacks and fed or changed the baby. Once Josh was through, we regrouped, cleaned up, and checked in with Scotty to relay pertinent information, like "Josh wants mosquito spray", so that Scotty could be ready at the next station.

Two stories I want to remember:

One crazy thing that happened was that we almost got lost looking for an aid station. On the race packet, it said the station was about two blocks in along a narrow trail. When we got to the entrance to that trail, Scotty was there. Apparently he had missed Josh at the last station, so he gave us the special water bottles Josh uses so we could switch them out (they are incredible lightweight and fit with a strap in the palm of his hand). He rushed off to get set up at the next station. Since the aid station we were to get to was a hike in, Scotty handed the bottles to Eric so that he could run ahead. I got the four kids out to follow him. We walked along this trail and noticed the pink ribbons tied to trees. They were markers for the runners to assure them they were on the right path. I remember checking the map and noticing that this station was at the top of a loop the runners were making. I thought it strange that they counted this station (#5) only once since on the map it appeared they were running by it twice. Number 6 station was at the bottom of the loop, as it appeared on the map, and #7 was a block or so the other way from where we started to walk into #5.

That should have been a clue.

As we were walk-running to get to the station in time to meet Josh, a member from another runner's crew team passed us. At the time, Mari and Joshy were already up ahead, waiting along a bridge. I saw the man go up ahead to where Joshy and Mari were, then come back towards us, and then disappear off to the side into the woods. I thought that was strange.

That should have been another clue.

So here we were, rushing down this narrow and uneven path in heat and humidity. We had gone over two bridges, one over a railroad and one over a bike path. I glanced over the railings at each and noticed nothing. I wondered about that man who ran off, but thought, well, perhaps he had to use the bathroom. I surely didn't want to follow him if that was the case. And I kept seeing the pink trail ribbons, so I knew we had to be on the right path. The only problem was, we were way farther than two blocks in by anyone's measure. And we hadn't seen any sign of an aid station or Eric. Hmm..I really didn't want to get lost in the woods with four children, so we turned back. As we neared the bridge that went over a bike path, I heard cheering. What? How could we have missed it!? When we passed over the bridge this second time, we figured it out. The aid station was UNDER the bridge. I leaned over and yelled down to the volunteers. No one else was there but them, and they confirmed that indeed Josh had passed through already. Oh, well...nothing to do but hurry back to the van to get ready for the next one.

The only problem was, we got back to van and Eric wasn't there. Turns out he not only missed the station, but went almost a mile in before he realized it. We all got a good, sweaty workout, but Josh missed his aid. Such a bummer!

(Of course, he can get water, salt, food, etc. at the aid stations as they stock that stuff for all runners, but he doesn't get his personal provisions and encouragement).

The other story happened as we were waiting at station 9, the turnaround. At this point the runner had gone about 26 miles and were to turn around and go 26 miles back. We were all eagerly waiting. We were chatting with another crew team who were shocked to hear Josh was over 30. They also thought Joshy was Josh's brother. Did they think we were his parents? I didn't ask; I didn't want to know. At this station, I had the job of holding out grapes for Josh to eat. Eric instructed me, "Just a few in your palm. Hold your hand flat and your arm up and out." Those are the same instructions you give to someone feeding a horse. When Josh came through, it was remarkably similar, only slightly more violent. I was afraid he was going to bite me, but I kept my hand flat so he didn't.

The last 26 miles seemed less eventful as now we totally knew the drill and the location of each station. We could enjoy the scenery more, had our lunch, and the girls (all three!) even napped for over an hour and a half. At the turnaround, Josh was in first, but on the last 26 miles he fell behind as he cramped up worse than he's ever cramped before. It was a bummer for him, yes, but he still finished well. At least I think so.

What is well? Third place!
We got to be at the finish line, which was so exciting and emotional. And kind of gross as these stinky, sweaty, sometimes-sick-to-their-stomach runners came crashing in. Most were covered in mud and some with blood too. Josh came in and laid down because of his legs cramping up. I laid out a picnic blanket for the kids and I to snack and rest in the shade. It was still so hot! Josh's body was so messed up he was sweating orange. No joke! It was fascinating. He had drank so much orange Gatorade that he had droplets of orange all over his legs. This was so funny since his shorts and shoes were also orange. What wasn't funny was how he suffered from the leg cramps. His muscles were twitching and shooting off all over his legs though he himself wasn't moving. He would yell out and then either Scotty or Eric would help stretch the leg out that was cramping. At one point, Eric asked if I wanted to leave (we were hoping to avoid driving late into the night). I thought we should wait until Josh was ok since the kids were a bit apprehensive. I thought well, we are scaring them out of ever wanting to do long distance running.

After an hour or so, and many salt pills and more liquids, Josh recovered. Scotty and Eric helped him up and the kids were happy (at least, until Mari went flying over a ledge on to a concrete sidewalk). And apparently the day left a good impression. Joshy asked Eric and I to "crew him" when he gets big enough to run a 50 mile race. Of course, bud!

Josh was a bit disappointed with his finish as he was originally on pace to break the course record. But we reminded him that the guy who won had six adults for his crew, and Josh had his brother and a family of six. I think he did great! The cramping was also an issue, and Eric and I vowed that next time (we hope there's a next time!) we will watch Josh's salt intake better, and be better at finding aid stations. At the end of August Josh is running a 100 mile race. Road trip anyone?

The whole crew at the end of the race day. Josh's mom also came to see him finish.
The two Joshuas!
Hmm...current ultra-marathoner and future ultra-marathoner?

And this was just a sweet sister pic from the day.
The best part of the whole day was getting to truly work together as a family for the good of someone else all to the glory of God. Hard work, sacrifice, sweat...and lots and lots and lots of laughing and joy, all surrounded by family, friends, and God's lovely creation. My idea of a wonderful day, and I think everyone of my family would agree!

No comments: