Long are the days...but short are the years.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

All God's Creatures

There will be no photos for this post. You're welcome in advance.

I've always thought of myself as more of a nature girl than not, but perhaps that was because I was comparing myself to the city-folk that had surrounded me. Now that I'm smack in rural-ville, I'm learning I'm more city than I thought. I love the idea of the great outdoors, but an evening like this evening sends me running for the comfort of my indoor living space. But with the windows open at least. Like I said, I like the idea of it all.

We were planting flowers outside, or rather, Eric was planting flowers outside while Joshy and Mari ran around and I held Sophia. Within ten minutes, we found a tick. YUCK. Then I walked along the side of the house and realized it was literally crawling with army worms. BLECH. Then I walked along the other side and got my real scare. All of a sudden, a head poked up from between the house and the driveway. A head! A red head, to be exact. Within a blink, the whole thing-a six inch lizard-crawled up the side of the house and disappeared into the garden. EEK!

So ticks, army worms, and lizards. My little ones are having a blast with all the "friends" they have to play with. Even Eric was excited about the lizard and tried to catch it (it was way too fast though).

Me? "Oh, dear, Sophia's getting cold, so I guess I had better scoot along inside," where I quickly changed clothes and got my baby in a bath.

Hey, at least we didn't see a snake.