Long are the days...but short are the years.

Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day!

It's not a major holiday in the US, or probably anywhere for that matter. It has few, if any, Hallmark cards devoted to it. In fact, I believe it has pagan origins.

But in my life, May Day is a day to celebrate. My grandma always reminded us of May Day and of the tradition of leaving baskets on peoples' doorsteps, ringing the doorbell, and running. What fun! I remember one particular year we did it I was in middle school. I remember my older cousin driving us around. I remember almost getting "caught" and having to hide in the bushes for a long time. I remember running away from a house and slipping across a neighbor's mud driveway. So how could I not share this awesome time with my little ones?

We have never done May Day baskets before, but I decided this was the year. So we picked up some on-clearance baskets and cellophane "grass". We peeled broken color crayons and made "color cookies". We bought some treats, seeds, napkins, and stickers. We decorated home-made cards. We assembled them all, packed into the van, and set off. We had great fun, but we did get "caught" (you really aren't supposed to let them see you) twice. I guess it's the best we can do with multiple small children. Joshua crept around yards like he was in a battlefield, while Mari hung around to explain to people what we were doing. Nevertheless, it was terrific.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And in other news, we've been enjoying our return to our regularly scheduled program of Eric working normal hours. It's awesome to have Daddy at home.
At least until he starts traveling next week. Boo!

The weather has been warming up tremendously, so we have started some yard work. Sophia spent the time chilling in the stroller.
Doesn't she look thrilled?

Now that Mari is old enough to sit still, I've been having fun experimenting with her hair. I'm still waiting for someone to teach me how to French braid, but until then, it's ponytail time!

We have our crib up, so Sophia can enjoy her mobile even when we are too busy to hold it! And I finally finished her mimi (a crocheted blanket that I made).
We knew we had to get moving when my sister, who is expecting at the end of May, put up her crib before we got ours up. It is really nice to have a safe spot for Sophia to hang out in while I shower or attend to Mari and Joshy. However, she is still sleeping in our bed. We like it that way.

In fact, today at work, Eric's co-worker accused him of being "crunchy". Eric was amused and admitted, "Yeah, I guess I'm crunchy. Sort of, anyway."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This may be baseball treason, but we couldn't help but love how cute Sophia looked in her Jhonny Peralta (Cleveland Indians) sweatbands. Don't tell Joe Mauer, especially since, if you remember, she was "almost" named after him.
(Yes, Katie, I know these are tiny photos. I'm experimenting.)

2 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

Yeah, that was such a hoot! Driving around and sneaking up to our friends doorsteps.

Good job on the baskets and the ponies!

Connie said...

John gave me a May basket one year while we were in college - can you imagine that? He drew pictures on a paper bag and put some goodies inside - I can't rremember if I caught him - but I would imagine he "let" me!