Long are the days...but short are the years.

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Biblical Interpretation

Last week I was teaching the children from Matthew 25, verses 31-46. For those of you who are unfamiliar, this is the passage where Christ discusses the final judgment in which He separates people into two groups (sheep and goats) based on the fruit of their faith. One group (sheep) He places at His right, and the other (goats) at His left. The group on His right, He goes on to say, will have eternal life, whereas the group on His left will go into eternal punishment.

Because my children are young, I try to teach in a very concrete way. I remember emphasizing that on this side was the sheep and they did such-and-such, but on this side were the goats, and they didn't do such-and-such. I waved my arms around a lot. I thought I did a pretty good job with the lesson. Apparently, though, I need to work on my teaching skills a bit, because tonight, as Eric was putting Mariella to bed, she said to him,

"Daddy, I learned from the Bible that if you are right-handed, you go to heaven, but if you are left-handed, you go to hell."

Whoops.

1 comment:

Lace said...

Uh oh. Bad news for my leftie husband, brother in law, mother in law and possibly my son! lol Seems she got the lesson in a very concrete way alright!