Long are the days...but short are the years.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Joshua's Birth Questions

So this may be a surprise to some of you and not at all to the rest, but Eric and I are considering a homebirth for this next baby. We had a midwife at our home last night to interview her and learn more about homebirth in general. I told Joshy if he had any questions for her about babies or birth, he would have his turn to ask. His question was: "How do you get the tube (umbilical cord) unattached from the baby and mama?" Good question! The midwife did an excellent job of explaining it to him and ended with a question of her own: "Would you like to be the one to cut it? You could ask your parents."

Joshua said he'd think about it, but that yes, he does know how to use scissors all by himself.

I asked Eric what he would think of Joshy taking over "his" job, and his reply was to shrug his shoulders and say: "That may be ok. I'll catch the baby and Joshy will cut the cord." Sounds like a plan to me!

And so since birthing has been a big topic around here lately, tonight Joshy had another question. Eric and I were talking about the legalities of homebirth and the different midwives we've interviewed (CPM vs. CNM). We aren't too sure yet about the laws surrounding each one. So Joshua piped in to ask, "If it's illegal to deliver the baby, how will we get it?"

Me, confused: "Get it? It's right here, Joshy." I patted my belly.

Joshy: "But if the midwife can't deliver it, who will bring it to the house? Who will deliver it to here?"

Ah...I understand the confusion, which lies in the puzzle that is our English language. And it was very sweet to see the panic in his face as he considered the possibility that we may not get the baby if it was illegal for someone to deliver it to our house. What wild minds children have!

3 comments:

Mike and Katie said...

Hmmm! Lots of questions and answers.

Katie

Yvette said...

Elisa, you are good at this blogging thing.

It sounds like Joshy knows a lot about birthing. Henri reasoned that the line on my tummy (that has since faded) was where the doctor took the baby out. Hmmm... What have you told Joshy?

I got your package. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I cried while reading your detailed note. I really appreciate details.

Nursery Training tomorrow morning, so I must go to bed.

melissa said...

It's fun having older children who have a little better understanding about the whole baby and birth thing, but they still have some funny ideas! I remember Grace asking how the baby gets out of the egg. (This was like 4 years ago). Somehow this confusion came from having earlier explained about mamas having eggs. Funny.

I'll be praying for you guys in your homebirth journey! I hope you find a midwife that you absolutely LOVE. It's awesome. :)