Long are the days...but short are the years.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Celebrating Mari's 3rd Birthday!

I can not BELIEVE my little girl is three years old. I also can not believe it's nearly midnight and I'm still awake. It could have something to do with the fact that Eric and the two eldest are sleeping in a tent outside, and no one is here to shoo me to bed like he does other nights.

Anyway...

Mari turned three on a Thursday in July. Eric had to work and then had a "work function" (read: Cincinnati Reds game with co-workers) to attend in the evening. So the little ones and I had a pretty typical day, except that every few minutes we burst in the birthday song and Mari happily reminded us that "I'm this many now!" while holding up three fingers.

It was a normal day, with the normal gorgeous weather, and us outside. Oh, and Mari doing weird things, like trying to lick the inside of her wheelbarrow.
Because that's who she is.
I decided that since it was her birthday and all, I would provide something a little tastier.
And it just happened to match her barrette.
Eric took the next day off of work. We planned to go to a waterpark, but when we got there at 10:00am, we were told it was closed due to inclement weather. We were pretty confused since it was sunny and seventy-five degrees. See, there was a thirty percent chance of rain after 2:00pm. That's what Ohioans deem "inclement weather".

We took our lemons and made lemonade, or rather, took our water balloons that Mari happened to get for her birthday from her Papa and Neena, filled up their empty sandbox with water, and made our own water fun.
And Mari's idea of water fun? Creating a water balloon family of course!
Do you see the Daddy, Mama, brother, sister, and baby? A few had to be remade after they inadvertently were used as missiles in the water balloon war the rest of us engaged in. Luckily, only a few tears were shed about that. Thankfully., water balloon babies are easily replaced.

Sophia didn't join in the water play so much as water from the hose is pretty chilly. That, and I think she was worried about inclement weather. She is a native Ohioan, after all. Instead she endured a shower of besos (kisses) from her mama. You know, normal stuff for her.
Happy 3rd birthday, my lovely Lella-girl!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you ever consider a career as a writer? Your blogs are so delightful! nl

Anonymous said...

Very sweet. Praising God for your beautiful three year old. It is bitter sweet...but sweet none the less.

Dina

Our Family said...

Happy Birthday Mariella!!!!

Anonymous said...

Mari,
I love your green goggles! They also match your barret! Happy Birthday, Mari
Love, Grandma