Long are the days...but short are the years.

Friday, November 20, 2009

Flag Football Season, Part 3, and the End of the Season Party

Well, I would say our first year of organized sports was a success. Joshy ended his football season with two touchdowns, no injuries, and lots of new friends. But the best part by far was the growth in relationship between these two.
Fruit of that relationship was evidenced in a conversation that took place towards the end of the season:
Daddy: "Joshy, does Coach--- ever sort of yell at you?"
Joshy: "Yeah, like when I don't get my guy in defense."
Daddy: "What does he say to you?"
Joshy: "He uses a mad voice and yells at me that I didn't do my job."
Daddy: "How does that make you feel? What do you think about that?"
Joshy: "I listen to him because he's a coach so I try to do what he says. But I don't think he needs to yell about it. I know football isn't the biggest, most important thing in life. Not like Jesus."
Daddy: "How do you know that?"
Joshy, shrugging: "Because that's what you tell me."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The day after the last game, there was a big celebration for all the people involved in any way with the ministry. I was expecting a small, little gathering. I was wrong. This was a full-blown community party! And what community party for children is complete without inflatables?
I knew there would be little hope of having either Mari or Joshy sit down for the meal once they started on these.

There was a small ceremony in which the ministry leaders gave a devotion and publicly thanked some individuals for their contributions. One of the "thank-yous" was for an elderly gentleman from our church named Bob Duffy who passed away a few months ago. He not only contributed a lot of money to the ministry, he attended every game, though he wasn't related to anyone on any of the teams. Now, as a memorial, the ministry leaders set up Bob's trademark red chair for every game and leave it empty as a reminder of his generosity and support. I had noticed the chair a few times in the season and had always wondered why it was always empty. Now I know.

The next part of the ceremony was having every team come up to the stage to receive a gift. This year the gift was a new backpack. We obviously don't need it for school, but it comes in very handy for long road trips!
After the ceremony, more time on the inflatables, some wrestling on the grass between teammates, and some more visiting time among the adults, it was time for dessert. We made several trips to the ice cream station before we headed home. As we were all licking up the last of our treats, I realized that this is one thing I love about small towns. Even as newcomers, we recognized so many people at this gathering and felt so welcomed. This night, along with the whole football season, will be a good memory in our family's history.

No comments: