Long are the days...but short are the years.

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Great-Grandma and Grandma came to town! -Day 6

Our last day all together (well, Eric at work and the rest of us at home) was pretty low-key. There was a lot of this happening:
Praise God for grandmas who will read the same book over and over and over!

Though we had a lot of Great-Grandma and Grandma time, we obviously didn't have enough.
This was Joshy and Mari attempting to keep their Grandma here. It didn't work. Instead I had two very sad and crying little ones on my hands while their daddy went to drive Great-grandma and Grandma back to the train station. They perked up a little when I reminded them that though Grandma was gone, she did leave a lot of the frosted cut-out cookies they had made together. As I nursed the baby, the big kids feasted on said cookies on my bed while wearing Daddy's t-shirts (another treat to ease the pain). I love my life with little ones.

And I truly love visitors, especially ones as special as grandmothers. Thanks for coming!

And while we have many, many wonderful memories of the visit, this one represents my favorite.
Many of you know that these two share the same middle name. Sophia Pearl and Violet Pearl, two treasures. Only God knows if Great-Grandma will live long enough for Sophia to really know her on earth (we pray she will!), but regardless, Great-Grandma will have known Sophia. We have proof. I like that.

And I do so enjoy seeing different generations delight in each other. I guess maybe it has something to do with seeing lives overlap through history, marvelling that each life intersects in this time now, but both will live in a time the other will never know. For some reason, I'm in awe of that.
Even more awesome is that while we all live and die, God never does; He is constant. He has been present in Great-Grandma's life for so many years, and we pray He will be present in Sophia's as well. No one else can claim that. God was, is, and always will be. Amazing.

No comments: